16. Venice has hundreds of hotels, and the choice can be overwhelming. Remember, Venice is one of the most expensive destinations for accommodation, so expect to pay more for what you get. A four star will be the price of a five star in a less in-demand city.
17. If you want a true local experience, you might consider renting an apartment. Venice-rentals.com has a range of apartments to suit most budgets.
18. The most expensive hotels sit on the Grand Canal, offering spectacular views of the wide waterway, passing water taxis and gondolas. If you want that iconic, Venice honeymoon hotel experience, this is probably it.
19. You can find more reasonably priced accommodation overlooking one of the many tiny canals around the city. While not as flashy as the Grand Canal, these have much quieter, more intimate (and in our opinion, more romantic) ambience. Castello is also a good option if you’re looking for more wallet-friendly accommodation, as long as you look towards the Eastern side, away from San Marco.
20. San Marco is undoubtedly the place to stay for convenience. Almost all the main attractions will be right on your doorstep – but be aware: Hotels in San Marco are the most expensive, and it’s the busiest neighborhood.
21. If you are spending enough time in Venice to take in the sights at leisure, you may consider staying in one of the lesser known sestieri, which will help you get to know a more local side of Venice. Cannareggio is our favorite of the less-touristy sestieri.
22. A great compromise is Dorsoduro: it’s close to the main sights but also has a more chilled-out, peaceful vibe. A perfect escape when you’ve tired of the crowds!
23. Flush with cash? The Gritti Palace is widely considered the most opulent luxury hotel in Venice, and has superb views of the Grand Canal. If you want somewhere just as luxurious but tucked away in a romantic corner of the city, Ca’ Maria Adele hotel is a very popular choice.
24. Of the mid-range hotels, we like The Splendid for its modern luxe style and convenient location halfway between Rialto Bridge and St Mark’s Square. Charming House, in Dorsoduro, has a sexy, design vibe perfect for honeymooners.